International Science Day
The founding of the International Science Council will be celebrated with a Science Day featuring leading scientists showcasing the range of issues the new organization will be working on.
The programme will include addresses by high-level representatives of the French government and the United Nations, as well as by the first President of the International Science Council.
Please note that space for this event is limited. All participants of the Founding General Assembly of ISC can indicate their participation when registering for the General Assembly. If you would like to register for the Science Day only, but not the General Assembly, please do so online and select “non-affiliated” in the Affiliation/Category field.
- Sébastien Candel, President of the French Academy of Sciences
- President of the International Science Council (will be elected on 4 July)
- Audrey Azoulay, UNESCO Director General
- Thierry Coulhon, Adviser to the President of France – Education, Higher Education, Research and Innovation
- Frédérique Vidal, Minister for Higher Education, Research and Innovation (to be confirmed)
11:15–12:30: A voice for science in the contemporary world
Moderator: Craig Calhoun, Berggruen Institute
- Cédric Villani, French Academy of Sciences and member of parliament
14:00–16:15: Advancing science as a global public good
Moderator: Nick Ishmael-Perkins, journalist and communications consultant
- Esther Duflo, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab
- Panel discussion: Carolina Adler, Mountain Research Initiative; Grégoire Borst, Université Paris Descartes; Herbert Docena, University of the Philippines, Diliman; Tolullah Oni, University of Cape Town
16:45–17:45: Advancing science as a global public good (cont.)
- Ismail Serageldin, Founding Director and Emeritus Librarian of the Library of Alexandria