Climate and env. changes
Climate and Other Environmental Changes
Tuesday 12 June, 9.00-12.00
- Dave Griggs, Director, Monash Sustainability Institute & CEO ClimateWorks Australia. WCRP Joint Scientific Committee member
- Mercedes Bustamante, International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP)
- Karen O’Brien, Professor Department of Sociology and Human Geography, University of Oslo, Norway
- Carlos Nobre, National Secretary, Secretariat of Policies and Programs in Research and Development, Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Brazil
- Carolina Vera, Director, Centro de Inv. del Mar y la Atmosfera (CIMA)/UBA/FCEN-CONICET, Argentina
- Luis Valdés, Chief of Section for Ocean Science, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC)
- Roberto Schaeffer, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Working Group III on Mitigation IPCC
- Diana Liverman, Co-Director, Institute of the Environment, University of Arizona, US
Background and aim
This session considers the implications of climate and other environmental change for sustainable development. It presents the most up-to-date scientific understandings of the dynamics of Earth system processes and their relationship to human activities, with significant attention to climate variability and change. The potential to both mitigate and adapt to these changes will also be considered. Taken together, these talks provide a wide range of perspectives on the challenges of sustainability in the context of environmental change, as well as the possibilities for responding to them in a sustainable manner. A panel discussion will focus on how contributions from science, technology and innovation research can contribute to new understandings of environmental change.
Structure of the session
- Carlos Nobre: What is the state of the Earth system?
- Carolina Vera: Climate change science update
- Luis Valdés: Oceans and climate
- Roberto Schaeffer: Mitigation: Potential and possibilities
- Diana Liverman: Can we adapt to environmental change?
Panel discussion with speakers taking questions from the floor