Vacancy: Science Officer (Fixed term contract)
ICSU is a non-governmental scientific organization with a global membership. ICSU members include 122 national scientific bodies (mostly National Academies of Science), 31 International Scientific Unions, and 23 International Scientific Associates. ICSU’s activities focus on three areas:
- International Research Collaboration
- Science for Policy
- Universality of Science.
Reporting to the Head of Science Programmes, the Science Officer will assist with the planning and implementation of ICSU’s current activities, as part of small team of Science Officers. Examples of work tasks include drafting reports, supporting the organization of international meetings and initiatives, preparing proposals and interacting with ICSU partners and members.
This is a unique opportunity to work in a leading international science organization with a vast network that is currently navigating an institutional change process. The assignment requires a candidate who can quickly integrate into the existing international team of 17 staff. In addition to the skills requirements below, the candidate should demonstrate good social skills, diplomacy and an ability to adapt to a changing environment.
ICSU is seeking candidates with the following:
Qualifications and knowledge
- An advanced scientific degree (Masters or equivalent) in a relevant natural or social science discipline and a broad interest in science
- At least 2/3 years’ experience in science project coordination
- Excellent knowledge of English, both written and spoken; knowledge of French would be an advantage
- Good knowledge of MS Office systems, and of electronic databases and websites
- Ability to analyse and summarise scientific information, to draft reports and minutes of meetings and to make presentations
- Excellent organizational skills and the capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and to meet deadlines
- Action-orientated, responsible and willing to take the initiative
- Good interpersonal skills and readiness to work effectively within a multicultural and inter-disciplinary team environment
- Experience living or working internationally is a plus
The start date will be end of May or early June. Salary will be dependent on the experience and qualifications of the candidate
Applicants are requested to send a curriculum vitae, cover letter and the contact details of three referees (preferably in one combined PDF file) via e-mail, with ‘Science Officer’ in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should be addressed to Lucilla Spini, Head of Science Programmes at ICSU and should demonstrate the fit between the candidate’s profile and the above description.
The closing date for applications is 1 May 2017.