Vacancy: Project Coordinator
Salary: 35,000 – 45,000 Euros net per year (before income tax)
Location: Paris, France
Closing date: 10 June, 2012
ICSU is a non-governmental organization whose mission is to strengthen international science for the benefit of society. In pursuit of this mission, ICSU plans and coordinates international research programmes, notably in the area of global environmental change. The ICSU Head Office, located in Paris, France, hosts a small international team of ~18 people. Three smaller Regional Offices are located in South Africa (Pretoria), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) and Mexico (Mexico City).
The Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) has recently awarded a substantial ‘pilot’ grant to ICSU to support the closer integration of its global and regional plans and to implement activities at the regional level. The focus of this grant is sustainability research, including energy, natural hazards and environmental change and the initial support is for workshops and networking actions that will inform the development of substantive future research programmes.
This new position is for a highly organised project coordinator, who will work with the ICSU staff in Paris and the regions and liaise closely with SIDA. Examples of work tasks include providing support to organize scientific meetings, drafting science reports, budget management and financial reporting. It is foreseen that this person will play a key role in preparing a follow-up application for longer-term funding from SIDA and other potential donors. Some international travel will be required.
ICSU is seeking candidates with the following:
Qualifications and knowledge
- Good science background (first degree or higher, in a relevant natural or social science discipline) and a broad interest in science and development.
- Demonstrated experience in science and/or development project administration (experience in the use of log-frames would be an advantage)
- Excellent knowledge of English and preferably some knowledge of French and/or other languages.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office systems, and of electronic databases and communication tools.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to draft reports and summarize scientific and financial information in English.
- Excellent organisational skills and the capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines.
- Action-orientated and responsible.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and readiness to work within a multi-cultural team environment.
The salary will be dependent on the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Applicants are requested to address the above description and qualifications in a cover letter and attach a curriculum vitae with the name and contact details of three referees.
Applications (preferably in one combined PDF file), should be sent via email with ‘Project Coordinator’ in the subject line to email@example.com and addressed to Dr Carthage Smith, Deputy Executive Director, International Council for Science (ICSU).
The closing date for applications is 10 June, 2012.