Salary: Euros 40,000–55,000 (net per year before income tax)
Location: Paris, France
Closing date: 17 February 2013
ICSU is a non-governmental scientific organisation with a global membership. ICSU members include 121 national scientific bodies (mostly national academies of science), 30 International Scientific Unions, and 21 International Scientific Associates. Activities focus on three areas: International Research Collaboration; Science for Policy; and Universality of Science. This job offers a unique opportunity for the right candidate to help ICSU in its mission to strengthen international science for the benefit of society.
The Science Officer will assist with the planning and implementation of ICSU’s activities, with a particular focus on the major new interdisciplinary initiative, Future Earth: research for global sustainability. Examples of work tasks include support to scientific committees, networking with partners and members, and coordination of international meetings and actions. The ICSU Secretariat, located in Paris, is a small international team of 16 people. Support for Future Earth is distributed across a number of partners and the ability to work in close cooperation with others is important.
ICSU is seeking candidates with the following:
Qualifications and knowledge
- An advanced scientific degree (Doctorate or equivalent) in a relevant natural or social science discipline and a broad interest in science.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in international research management, preferably in the area of global environmental change
- Demonstrated experience in science project/programme development and coordination.
- Excellent knowledge of English and preferably some knowledge of French and/or other languages.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office systems, and of electronic databases and web sites.
- Ability to draft reports, analyse and summarise scientific information.
- Excellent organisational skills and the capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines.
- Action-orientated and responsible.
- Creative and willing to take initiative.
- Good interpersonal skills and readiness to work within a team environment.
The salary (Euros 40,000–55,000 net per year before income tax) will be dependent on the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Applicants are requested to address the above description and qualifications in a cover letter and attach a curriculum vitae with the name and contact details of three referees. They are invited to indicate how serving in this position would support their own future science career objectives. Applications (preferably in one combined PDF file) should be sent via email, with ‘Science Officer’ in the subject line, to email@example.com and addressed to Dr Carthage Smith, Deputy Executive Director, International Council for Science (ICSU). Please indicate where you saw this job advertisement. The closing date for applications is 17 February, 2013