Future Earth is a new 10-year international research initiative that will develop the knowledge for responding effectively to the risks and opportunities of global environmental change and for supporting transformation towards global sustainability in the coming decades. Future Earth will mobilize thousands of scientists while strengthening partnerships with policy-makers and other stakeholders to provide sustainability options and solutions in the wake of Rio+20.
Future Earth will be a global platform to deliver:
- Solution-orientated research for sustainability, linking environmental change and development challenges to satisfy human needs for food, water, energy, health;
- Effective interdisciplinary collaboration across natural and social sciences, humanities, economics, and technology development, to find the best scientific solutions to multi-faceted problems;
- Timely information for policy-makers by generating the knowledge that will support existing and new global and regional integrated assessments;
- Participation of policy-makers, funders, academics, business and industry, and other sectors of civil society in co-designing and co-producing research agendas and knowledge;
- Increased capacity building in science, technology and innovation, especially in developing countries and engagement of a new generation of scientists.
Integrating existing endeavours
Anne-Sophie Stevance, Science Officer at ICSU: firstname.lastname@example.org.